Pink Smoothie Girls

Pink Smoothie Girls
What a wonderful group of women, (and kiddos too.)

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Salmon Anyone?

I was not raised near the ocean and fresh seafood.  The only fish I ate was canned tuna and canned salmon, which my mother made salmon loaf out of.  We also had catfish and bullheads that we caught fishing in the local rivers.  They had tons of bones which I didn't like and I never would eat the salmon loaf she made. I didn't like it and grew up determined that I didn't like salmon.  Now that I've had fresh or frozen salmon, I have changed my mind somewhat.  Fish still isn't my favorite food but I have found a terrific salmon recipe that just begs to be prepared once or twice a month.  We're told to add more fish to our diets and you might like to make this recipe that I got from a Weight Watcher's cookbook.  Again, try it and let me know what you think.

Salmon with Coconut-Tomato Sauce

2 teaspoons canola oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tablesppon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup drained canned petite diced tomatoes
1/2 cup light (reduced-fat) coconut milk
Pinch cayenne
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 pound skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lime juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1.  Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.  Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds.  Add diced tomatoes, coconut milk, and cayenne; bring to simmer and cook, covered, 5 minutes.

2.  Add cherry tomatoes to skillet and simmer just until tomatoes begin to soften, 1-2 minutes.  Sprinkle salmon with salt.  Add salmon and lime juice to skillet and cook, stirring gently, until salmon is just opaque in center, 3-4 minutes.  Stir in cilantro.

Serving suggestion.  To soak up the creamy coconut sauce, serve the salmon with brown rice. (2/3 cup cooked brown rice per serving will increase the PointsPlus value by 3).

Serving size 1 cup     6 PointsPlus value
250 Cal. 13 g. Total Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 72 mg Chol, 423 mg Sod, 7 g Carb, 3 g Sugar, 1 g Fib, 27 g Prot., 31 mg Calc.

No comments: